Monday, November 29, 2010

The Best Stuffing Ever

I thought I would share my FAMOUS stuffing recipe which I have made every year for about seven years now. My friend Natalie and I were put in charge of the stuffing one year. We cracked open an old 1950's cookbook of my grandmother's and searched high and low. We found a recipe for apple stuffing for a duck, and so we took the recipe, quadrupled it and tweaked it until VOILA-a masterpiece was born:

Apple Stuffing with Caramlized Pecans:
1 bag of Pepperidge farm herb stuffing
2 granny smith apples
1 onion
1 clove of garlic
3/4 c Heavy Cream
3 1/2 c water
1Tbs of Thyme
2 tsp of Seasoned Salt
other herbs to taste
1 1/2 c of crushed pecans
1 c brown sugar
2tbs cornstarch

Cut up apples and onion and garlic clove and mix 1 c of the water with the herb stuffing.  Place onion, apples and garlic in a large frying pan with olive oil. Saute until onions are transparent. Add softened herb stuffing and mix well. Add heavy cream stir and cook over low/med heat until cream is absorbed. Add salt, thyme and and herbs to taste. Remove from heat and press into a 9x13 baking dish. Let stand. Put remaining water and brown sugar and pecans in a small sauce pan. Bring to a rolling boil. Boil for 4 minutes. Mix cornstarch with a little bit of water and stir to remove lumps. Add to sauce pan. Boil until thickened. Pour over stuffing and bake for 15 minutes. ENJOY! :)

P.S. This year I added dried cranberries. You can do the same just make sure you soak them in hot water first so that the get nice and soft. 


No comments:

Post a Comment